Heavy pedal

Don Price dcp@sosinc.net
Fri, 13 Mar 1998 08:33:49 -0700

I service a  12 year old Steinway M at a local church.    The complaint =
is that the damper pedal is too "heavy",  or hard to depress.
The piano player thinks it has become more resistant  with time, =
especially in the last month or two. =20

I've removed the action to check the damper tray which moves freely; the =
dowel through the key bed is not rubbing; removing the metal rod lets =
the pedal drop freely; with the metal rod removed the wooden lever under =
the bed also drops freely.  I even removed the coil spring that sits =
between the  wooden lever and the bed, which didn't make enough =
difference to satisfy.

Any suggestions on how to lighten the pedal feel would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Don Price
dcp@sosinc.net