Juice du Jour (Lubricants for Action Centers)

Ron Nossaman nossaman@SOUTHWIND.NET
Fri, 13 Mar 1998 10:20:41 -0600 (CST)

> Z, Z, Z,  we/I have not communicated to you properly I fear.  This because
>the Alcohol/Water solution does not "shrink the bushings" per se. What happens
>with the application of the solution, is that the water causes the flange to
>swell, which presses the bushing cloth tighter against the pin, which causes
>the wood around the hole in the flange to compress ever so slightly, and when
>the whole shebang has dried back out the flange is looser than when the
>operation began...whew!

Doesn't compute, Jim. To crush wood, you have to contain it with something
of equal or lower compressability. Bushing cloth doesn't fit the
description, it compresses easier and rebounds more than maple ever could.
That's why hammers aren't covered with maple. Yea, I know, some of them
sound that way, but trust me - they aren't.  By your scenario, the birdseye
would loosten up more than the bushing, and that doesn't happen. I'd say it
has to be the cloth that is affected, not the flange. Other than that, yes.

> I prefer denatured alcohol but some others use rubbing alcohol and/or wood
>alcohol.  Susan, bless her poor sacrilegious heart, admits to using Everclear,
>although it is not exactly clear whether she drinks it or squirts it on the
>action parts. :-) Have you ever tasted Everclear with a touch of cherry juice
>and lime ? Such nectar should not be wasted on mere wooden piano
>Jim Bryant (FL)

Now you're in for it! Sure as sharks won't bite lawyers, some clown is going
to call you down for putting cherry juice and lime in action centers. We
close-reading and discerning individuals of intermittant humor wouldn't make
such a mistake, but...

 Ron Nossaman