confession HT

Marcel Carey mcpiano@microtec.net
Sat, 14 Mar 1998 07:07:18 -0500

Dear List,

Someone mentioned that my messages were hardly readable. That is they turned
black as soon as you opened them. Did that happen to you too?
In any case, I switched back to netscape to resend my latest post hoping to get
comments and suggestions.

I must confess that today, I used HT for the first time. The piano was a small
Currier spinet. The kind I usually don't enjoy tuning. From observing the music
sheets that were laying around on the piano, I could tell the piano was used by
beginners, probably children. Using RCT, I just measured the piano's
inharmonicity, and then using the tools, converted the tuning to a
"victorianized 1/7 comma well" (usning the numbers given by Bill Bremmer on this
list on a previous post). I didn't know what to expect, since I had never done
HT by ear. After tuning the temperament section, I tried my usual test. The
temperament sounded weard. I kept on tuning using RCT exclusively, did a second
pass and then played on the piano. I was surprised. Never before had I heard
this type of piano sound so good.

Thanks to the list for giving me the courage to try this. I will keep on trying.
I spoke with a professor at the university and he has agreed to let me do a
blind test for temperament tuning on the two pianos in the faculty small concert
hall. I will let you know how thing come out. I wonder what HT I should use
though. If any of you have suggestions, PLEASE let me know.

Marcel Carey, RPT
Sherbrooke, QC