SAT-Storage Help, Take 2

Kent Swafford kswafford@earthlink.net
Sat, 14 Mar 1998 09:49:45 -0600

Avery Todd wrote:

>SAT users,
>
>   I'm getting ready to store our master tuning for the PTG tuning test
>into my SAT. I'm still new at using this and I just don't understand, for
>sure, how to set up the note/octave display to store the tuning.
>   For example, I want to store C-1. When the master was read, it was read
>on octave 3, so when I store the master into the SAT should the note/octave
>display read C-1 or C-3? I hope I'm being clear here.

It will read C1 if you are in MEM mode, and C3 if you are in tune mode.
But either way, after you push SHIFT-STO, you will be in Tune mode, I
believe.  So most of the time it will be the partial note in the display
just before you save the note.  Here is the step-by-step.

I hope others will let me know if I have any of this wrong.

OK, turn on the SAT, turn off the SAT, turn on the SAT.  This for sure
puts you into CAL mode. Push the TUNE button and that gets you to tune
mode at A4=0.0.
Hold down shift and use the Page button to go to the desired page of SAT
memory.
This puts you on A0 in memory mode.  (All the tuning exam partials are
the same note name as the note being measured, that is, they are all 4th,
second, or first partials.)
Hit note up and note down, and then the tune button.  This puts you into
Tune mode, and will show you at what partial the page of memory
previously had stored for that note.  Use the note up, note down buttons
to step to A2, and the cents up, cents down to go to 0.0.
Hold down shift and press STO; this will store a 0.0 at partial note A2
for the piano note A0.  When you are in tune mode and press Shift-STO, as
long as you hold down SHIFT-STO the display changes from the note being
read to the piano note being stored.  This is the way to keep things
straight.  You want to be in tune mode, able to adjust the note and cents
readings before storing; when you hit SHIFT-STO watch the display to
check that you are storing the right piano note.  All of the places where
the partials of master tunings change, are at C's, so whenever you get to
a C, check the partial to make sure it is right; when you need to change,
you will be in tune mode, so just use the octave down button to get to
the right C.

Kent