HT's

Billbrpt Billbrpt@aol.com
Sat, 14 Mar 1998 19:36:42 EST

<< Suppose Helmholtz and Theodore Steinway designed a piano around Equal
Temperament.  Would you still have a guestion about how to tune it ?
  Richard MooET >>

I don't suppose that they did.  Did Helmholtz ever meet Steinway?  Is this
simply fiction like Dracula meeting Frankenstein?

Why are the breaks in a Steinway scale at the very places where one would have
a wider half step such as in a Victorian Temperament (VT)?  I think it is
because the Steinway piano is a marvelous example of Victorian era technology
and should be tuned that way, in a VT, to produce the most authentic sound.
Even though the tuners of the period thought in terms of ET, their
temperaments weren't really entirely equal.  Those breaks in the scale are not
coincidence.

Helmholtz book belongs on the shelf along side Freud's, Darwin's, Karl Marx's
and Mary Shelly's.

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin