Conover upright hammer butts without bridle straps

Maxpiano Maxpiano@aol.com
Sun, 15 Mar 1998 17:58:15 EST

<<
 I have a  Conover upright with some missing hammer butts.  <snip>  Has anyone
saved parts from a  Conover that I might buy? >>

I don't have a source of supply but can make one suggestion:  Years ago I
replaced one by taking a standard hammer butt and pulling out the catcher with
its short shank.  The remaining hole was about in the right place for the hook
on the end of the jack (I may have had to elongate it).  Trimming the catcher
shank to the appropriate angle and epoxying it to the top of the butt
completed the repair.  I have not seen the piano since and so don't know how
well it held.

Bill Maxim, RPT