"Reverse Well"? (follow-up)

Susan Kline skline@proaxis.com
Sun, 15 Mar 1998 15:06:18

At 04:15 PM 3/15/98 -0600, you wrote:
>> ...I just
>>use fifths and octaves with no checks...
>>Keith McGavern
>
>Susan, List,
>
>I decided it's inaccurate to say I don't use checks.  After I'm done, I do
>play chords (for the two octave temperament), and then arpeggios for the
>rest of the piano to see how it all generally meshes together.
>
>Keith McGavern
>kam544@ionet.net
>Registered Piano Technician
>Oklahoma Chapter 731
>Piano Technicians Guild
>USA

Dear Keith,

I remember your saying about a year ago that you hadn't really been
comfortable with piano tuning till you started using an ETD. I think
what you say above is ample reason for it.

Tuning without checks is about like measuring something with a piece
of string, while your neighbor is using a vernier caliper. With a lot
of practice one may get pretty good at it, but it is definitely an
uphill battle.

You must be very gifted to have passed the aural part of the tuning
test with a temperament like that.

I'm sure that, being adept with the SAT, you don't _need_ to master a
modern aural temperament method, but perhaps for your own peace of
mind you might explore one. It probably isn't nearly as hard as you
imagine.

For a beginning, you might try using the tenth test for your octaves,
and running chromatic major thirds after you've finished your middle
octave (or two). They should progress evenly, gradually getting a
little faster.

It's like turning on a light after groping in the dusk.

You would probably be quite quick at it all, since it is much easier
than what you've been doing.

Best Wishes,

Susan
Susan Kline
P.O. Box 1651
Philomath, OR 97370
skline@proaxis.com

"Time will end all my troubles, but I don't always
approve of Time's methods."
		-- Ashleigh Brilliant