"Reverse Well"?

Tom Cole tcole@cruzio.com
Sun, 15 Mar 1998 20:46:08 -0800

Billbrpt wrote:

> I would never let my C major
> 3rd beat faster than the BE or DbF 3rd's which are consecutive to it.  The
> same goes for my FA and GB 3rds.  If I were trying to tune an ET, and couldn't
> get it entirely equal, I wouldn't allow the results of my inherent errors to
> be a RW.  I'd rather make it sound like a very mild Victorian (VT) or Quasi-
> Equal (QE) like the Marpurgs.

Bill,

The light is beginning to come on, here. To put it in my own words, I
would say that the white key thirds should beat a little slower than the
rest. I have tuned that way, when I tuned aurally, on spinets and
consoles which refused to accept my best attempts at ET. Realizing that
I no longer do that since using RCT, I will do some experimenting. On a
poorly scaled piano, it makes sense to put the noisier intervals in the
keys distant from C major and make the easy keys more friendly.

Tom

--
Thomas A. Cole RPT
Santa Cruz, CA