"Victorian" W.T. or Modified Meantone

Mon, 16 Mar 1998 07:46:30 -0600

Paul and others,

At 06:56 3/16/98 -0500, you wrote:

As a resident troglodite (i.e. strictly aural tuner) of this list,  I have a
small question to ask.

I look at this recipe for setting a tuning device and wrinkle my brow a little.

>           Cents Dev. from ET
>
>c               4.4
>b               -2.3
>a#              1.3
>a               -1.2
>g#              0.3
>g               1.7
>f#              -2.7
>f               3.1
>e               -0.5
>Eb              1.4
>d               -0.3
>c#              -0.4

At no point does it coincide with ET, nor does it coincide with any known
tuning standard such as A440Hz/A435Hz/C523.25Hz/C517.3Hz, etc.

If I tune an HT from a fork or ETD generated A or C using aural directions
which produce the same temperament as above, it'll be different, right?
Or... If another tuner is tag-team-tuning with me for something like a Bach
multi-clavier concerto, and said tuner _is_ using the recipe above with an
ETD, while I'm doing aural from my C fork.  Wow! Instant organ celeste sound.

Shouldn't recipes contain _some_  standard?  Am I missing something as to
the function of a standard?  Shouldn't _something_ be the same?

Back to my cave.

Conrad

Conrad Hoffsommer		Office - (319) 387-1204
Luther College
700 College Drive, Decorah, Iowa 52101-1045
hoffsoco@martin.luther.edu -or- pno2ner@salamander.com

If I had multiple personality disorder, my resume would make more sense.