They Whiten Your Teeth and Freshen Your Breath

atonal@planet.eon.net atonal@planet.eon.net
Mon, 16 Mar 1998 23:27:02 +0000

Advertising, plain and simple...
anything can be sold if properly marketed...

> Comments from the great unwashed?

Don't know about you southerners, but we wash everyday....

	It seems that despite mail filters, that this topic won't roll up
and go to GREAT ENLIGHTENED land like we are informed it will  (and
don't you pathetic aural rev.WT tuners expect to  follow... note to
BB: CAUTION... IRONY or SARCASM present)

	So I must comment (why not?)

	I have been trained and tested by extremely compentent PTG techs re:
equal temperament. These same techs are also well versed in 'HT'
temperaments, as well as recognition of applicibility and historical
merit; some of whom have posted to this list and have been as of now,
unanswered.

	Fact: I have tuned and discussed at length the merits vs.
disadvantages of  'HT's including, but not restricted to,
Werkmeister III, Kirnberger II and III and various modified meantone
temperaments with practising harpsichordists, organists, and
pianists, and the consensus is that under circumstances that are
favorable, such as period harpsichord and piano recitals, HT's (as
narrowly defined by some who tune, who shall remain nameless, but not
unidentifiable) are a subjective preference, if not a historical
performance method.

	As for applicibility for modern, common use, with
enlightenment and positive educational efforts, yes HISTORICAL
temperaments are a useful tool for teachers, tuners, and
performers, provided they are well versed on the historical reasoning
behind the temperament, and just why they are performing it.

	Emphasis on historical. Creating your own temperaments is a
noble challenge, but one worthy of tuners who have a broader
undrerstanding of a specific goal with a tuning system.
Creating a universal tuning system is tantamount to hubris, and
had better be all it claims to be, and accept and acknowledge, rather
than condemn, the current system. Trying to impose your own tuning
dictum upon mortal tuners is challenging fate; you can try, but you
had better be as good as the evil scientists (this is the sarcasm
part I warned you about) or you are condemned to rolling the rock up
the cycle of fifths until the common unwashed populace accepts your
Socratic dictums as the GREAT TRUTH. One unwashed, humble aural
tuner, hardly worth mentioning, wonders if by promoting a different
system of tuning, one wishes to become one of the evil scientists
that they so vilely debase; after all, casting off one's chains for
another is a historically correct pastime.

	In a more positive vein, I have worked with Bob Scott's TuneLab97
program and constructed several Historical Temperaments, which I can
send to interested parties in .tem format.

Happy Monday,

Rob Kiddell,
Registered Piano Technician, PTG
atonal@planet.eon.net