Epoxy vs CA

Glen_Deligdisch@sil.org Glen_Deligdisch@sil.org
Tue, 17 Mar 1998 08:59 -0500 (EST)

     Dear List,

     I want to thank all of you that responded to my 30 minute epoxy
     question.  The information you gave was just what I needed.

     Just one more little aside.  Talking to the folks in the hobby shop
     revealed some interesting opinions.  They said that model builders
     coming to their store preferred epoxy over CA.  I asked why.  They
     said that CA glue dissipates out of the wood glued joints, eventually
     nullifying the bond.  Epoxy remains permanently.  Model airplane
     builders say that they find CA joints begin coming apart after about 1
     and 1/2 years but epoxy joints never break at the joint again.  They
     say they use CA glue for those on the field emergency repairs but
     prefer epoxy during building times.

     Have any of you that use CA glue for repairs noticed these repairs
     coming apart at a later date?

     Thanks,

     Glen

     Glen and Ruth Deligdisch