1883 Chickering- "Adam's rib"

Lance Lafargue lafargue@iamerica.net
Tue, 17 Mar 1998 09:38:31 -0600

I recently took on a restoration job for a Chickering grand (1883).  I will
begin in about 8-10 weeks. Everything looks like it will be straight
forward except for the soundboard.  The piano came from it's home in
Colorado to me in Louisiana (it's now adjusted to our humid climate and now
I think it's a couple of inches longer).  At some point in it's past the
bass bridge was reglued/screwed.  I am assuming that at this time the
technician decided that it was necessary to remove the last two ribs (near
the tail) from the soundboard.  There is crown in the middle of the
soundboard but there is some warpage and inconsistency.  My question is: Is
it mandatory that I replace those ribs, and how do I do it?  They are about
10" and 16"long (?).  Can I just shape the ribs for some crown and glue
them in with soundboard repair jigs?  How do I get them into the rim? The
customer is not terribly interested in antique value, just
playability/sound.  It sounds surprisingly good now, despite the "Adam's
rib" extraction.  THANKS!!
Lance Lafargue, RPT
New Orleans Chapter
Covington, LA.
lafargue@iamerica.net

----------
> [...]
> > > less.
> me
> > > know
> > >
> > > "Rain Drop Prelude"  Chopin, Db maj. #15 .
> > >         This should be one of the basic playing requirement for
> those who
> > > want to be piano technicians.  (Because I can barely  play it)
> > >
> > > What HT would someone recommended for this?
> > >
> > Actually there are many dozens of serene works in the romantic
> period
> > written for keys with many sharps or flats.
> > -Mike Jorgensen
>
> Serene is a good word for the "Raindrop."  I forgot what the words
> are called that appear at the beginning of a piece like "Allegro" or
> "Lento", but "Sostenuto" appears at the beginning of the Db maj. #15
> Prelude. I don't think it is refering to the pedal.   Interesting to
> note the next Prelude is marked Presto con Fuocco. It has the same
> number of flats (5) but in the "relative minor" (Bb min), "the
> darling of the virtuoso." (Quotes from Schrimer's edition.) There
> also has to be a relation of key signature and velocity, as someone
> has already suggested on this list.
>
> While much has been made of Well Tempered Clavier being written in
> the 24 keys, (48 all together) the 24 Chopin Preludes are also
> presented starting in C then C min, then through the circle of fifths
> ending in F and D min. It is reported that Chopin sold them to
> Camille Pleyel..   It would be interesting to know if Pleyel
> published the Preludes in this order, or if it was Chopin's idea.  A
> great concern of these pioneer piano makers  was the tuning, in
> particular a method that would allow pieces in all 24 keys to be
> played on the same tuning.  If Pleyel had any intention of showcasing
> these preludes on his pianos in a particular temperament, it would be
> of greatest interest to tuners today.  Looking in Jorgensen there is
> no mention of Pleyel in the index.  One would think Pleyel the maker
> of pianos and publisher of piano music (that's what I call having
> your cake and eating it to) might have something to say about piano
> tuning. Hopefully he and others especially Bach did, and their notes
> remain yet to be discovered.
>
> Richard  Moody
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Tue, 17 Mar 1998 08:09:02 EST
> From: JIMRPT <JIMRPT@aol.com>
> Subject: Re: They Whiten Your Teeth and Freshen Your Breath
>
> List;
>   All this talk of Historical Temperaments brings to mind another
historically
> "tempered" society, namely the Irish :-)  I suppose that the term "irish"
> these days includes 'all'  who are "Irish", "pseudo Irish", and "wannabe
> Irish", as well as the occasional Scot who believes themself to be really
> "Irish". :-)
>   Anyway, as today tis being the St Patty's day that it tis, it's wishing
each
> and every one on the list a truly glorious and happiness filled St.
Patty's.
> May your day be truly graced with the spirit of the
celebartion.............
> and "may the road rise up to meet you" as you travel throughout your
appointed
> rounds.
> (of course this toast may explain why the Irish are so
temperamental....after
> all if the road "rises up to meet you" aren't you 'always' going uphill ?
:-)
> [...]
>
> Montal begins by discussing the tuning instructions in a number of recent
> books and describing the defect(s) of each. He states that there are two
> types of temperament: egal (moyen), which creates equality between the
> dozen half-steps of the scale, and inegale, in which some half-steps are
> little different and which favors the purity [justesse] of certain keys
> the detriment of others. In effect, he writes, the true purpose of
> temperament ought to be to apportion the alteration among the largest
> number of intervals possible in order to make it less perceptible. Today
> our pianists play unconcernedly in all the keys, thus equal temperament
> ought to be an absolute necessity. And composers follow their
inspirations
> and write just as well in F-sharp as in F-natural, in D-flat and A-flat
as
> well as in C and G-natural. Finally Montal acknowledges that he is happy
> to have made a special study of mathematics and of music before devoting
> himself to the art of tuning pianos, "for it is from the alliance of
these
> three types of knowledge that I have deduced the reliable,
straighforward,
> and easy method that I offer to the public today".
>
> Equal temperament consists of changing intervals by the same quantity in
> manner that divides the octave into twelve equal half steps. This
> makes all the keys equally perfect or, rather, equally out of tune, for
> none ought to be exactly perfect, but only tolerable. According to
> montal's method, one learns the degree of alteration of major thirds
> necessary in equal temperament by tuning three successive major thirds
> equally, and just enough wider [forte] than than perfect, so that the top
> note forms a perfect octave with the bottom note. Four successive minor
> thirds must be made slightly narrow [faible] to accomodate then within a
> perfect octave.  If four successive fifths, starting on c1, are each
tuned
> to be perfect, the top note of the series, e3, if lowered two octaves,
> would make too wide a major third with the bottom c1. Therefore, the
> fifths must be made narrow by lowering their top notes and this
alteration
> must be equally apportioned so that the top and bottom notes of the
series
> form a major third exactly as wide as those within an octave. Finally,
for
> teaching purposes, this process is repeated with descending fifths, which
> are made narrow by raising thier lower notes.
>
> The progression for Montal's tuning is a series of descending fifths,
with
> ascending octaves interspersed as needed to keep the setting of the
> temperament within the range f-b1. One tunes in succesion a1, the "lower"
> a as a perfect octave, and d1 as a slightly narrow fifth down from a1.
The
> [...]
tuning
> work that you have been doing all these years is fundamentally wrong,
> according to Bill Bremmer, and that you'd better start learning how and
when
> to tune historical temperaments. >>
>
> I have never said that choosing to tune ET is "wrong".  It, for me
however has
> become the very last choice of temperament that I personally would ever
make.
> So far, since the beginning of 1990, I have never made that choice except
when
> working on an RPT Tuning Exam Master Tuning.
>
> There is a kind of temperament that I have very explcitely stated was
wrong:
> Reverse-Well (RW).  Many on the List say they have never heard of it.  As
> CTE and because of my training as such, I have observed that it is a very
> common result of practices which are flawed because of a lack of thorough
> understanding of the issues of temperament.
>
> When one believes that ET is really the only practical temperament to use
and
> to just get fairly close to a state of equality is good enough, the
result
> very often is RW and that is clearly wrong.  What is also wrong is
closing
> one's eyes to and turning away from the kind of knowledge and
enlightenment
> that can truly make the difference between a true ET and a RW.
>
> I fully respect those technicians who believe in and choose ET as their
> preferred choice of temperament.  I have a problem though with those
whose
> fundamental ignorance is their major stregnth.  Tom, I believe you will
be a
> far better tuner as the result of these discussions even if you never
choose
> to take up the HT's as part of your practice.  Keith M. has also stated
that
> he has carefully pondered these discussions.  He now uses an ETD that
allows
> him to tune a true ET with consistency.  The ETD will virtually never
permit a
> RW.  Tuning 4ths & 5ths only without 3rds checks or with only cursory or
> dubiously valuable checks often results in an RW.
>
> Loudly proclaiming the sole correctness of and ET and insisting on its
> exclusive use but tuning instead an RW out of ignorance is tantamount to
> bigotry.
>
> Bill Bremmer RPT
> Madison, Wisconsin
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Tue, 17 Mar 1998 09:11:15 EST
> From: Billbrpt <Billbrpt@aol.com>
> Subject: Re: HT's (Ad Nauseum)

> << I can't imagine a Bach chorale style of music in some of the darker
keys.

> You probably won't find that style in the remote keys in Bach's music.
What
> [...]
>
> Date: Tue, 17 Mar 1998 08:59 -0500 (EST)
> From: Glen_Deligdisch@sil.org
> Subject: Epoxy vs CA
>
>      Dear List,
>
>      I want to thank all of you that responded to my 30 minute epoxy
>      question.  The information you gave was just what I needed.
>
>      Just one more little aside.  Talking to the folks in the hobby shop
>      revealed some interesting opinions.  They said that model builders
>      coming to their store preferred epoxy over CA.  I asked why.  They
>      said that CA glue dissipates out of the wood glued joints,
eventually
>      nullifying the bond.  Epoxy remains permanently.  Model airplane
>      builders say that they find CA joints begin coming apart after about
1
>      and 1/2 years but epoxy joints never break at the joint again.  They

>      say they use CA glue for those on the field emergency repairs but
>      prefer epoxy during building times.
>
>      Have any of you that use CA glue for repairs noticed these repairs
>      coming apart at a later date?
>
>      Thanks,
>
>      Glen
>
>      ---------------------------------------------------------------
>
>      Glen and Ruth Deligdisch
>      P.O. Box 248
>      Waxhaw, NC  28173
>
>      Tel:  (704) 843-0989
>
>      E-mail:  Glen_Deligdisch@SIL.ORG
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Tue, 17 Mar 1998 09:16:01 EST
> From: Billbrpt <Billbrpt@aol.com>
> Subject: Re: HT's (Ad Nauseum)

> << At the moment, my wife is playing Schumann (Blumenstuck op 19 in Ab
>  major). It sounds offal, I mean awful. All of the tones having equal
value
> seems to put the temperament in a bad light. The key of Ab in
Vlotti-Young
> requires some major finessing by the pianist.  >>
>
> Just curious, does your wife have the same opinion of the sound as you
do?
> You are right when you say that the music must be played differently than
it
> is when tuned in ET.  The faster beating that you hear which disturbs you
can
> and should become that which gives stregnth and character to the music.
>
> Bill Bremmer RPT
> Madison, Wisconsin
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Tue, 17 Mar 1998 09:29:25 EST
> From: Billbrpt <Billbrpt@aol.com>
> Subject: Re: HT's

> <<  great concern of these pioneer piano makers  was the tuning, in
particular
> a method that would allow pieces in all 24 keys to be played on the same
> tuning.  If Pleyel had any intention of showcasing these preludes on his
> pianos in a particular temperament, it would be of greatest interest to
tuners
> today.   >>
>
> In all likelyhood, Pleyel may have thought in terms of ET as Henry
Steinway
> and Broadwood may have.  But what their factory tuners and tuners of the
> period actually did would not qualify as ET today.   Read some of the
> supporting documentation surrounding the Broadwood chapters in
Jorgensen's
> book.  You will see that it is because of the temperament sequences
(bearing
> plans) that were actually used that a certain inequality was the result.
>
> Curiously, this is analogous to what is happening today when tuners tune
> Reverse-Well (RW).  They think in terms of and believe in ET but because
of
> their methods which are flawed and incomplete, the resultant temperament
is
> decidedly unequal without their even realizing it and unfortunately in
> opposition to the the historically correct pattern of a WT or VT.
>
> Bill Bremmer RPT
> Madison, Wisconsin
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Tue, 17 Mar 1998 09:31:01 EST
> From: RptBob1 <RptBob1@aol.com>
> Subject: Re: They Whiten Your Teeth and Freshen Your Breath

> << 	It seems that despite mail filters, that this topic won't roll up
>  and go to GREAT ENLIGHTENED land like we are informed it will  (and
>  don't you pathetic aural rev.WT tuners expect to  follow... note to
>  BB: CAUTION... IRONY or SARCASM present) >>
>
> At last ! A calm ,cool and collected reply and explanation of HT and its
place
> in the wide,wide world of tuning.  I enjoyed reading this and can see its
> importance.  This does not convert me to the system,but at least I can
better
> understand why it rouses such passion in some of you.
>
> I shall cease my comments and exercise -to exorcise- my delete button
when I
> see the letters "HT".
>
> It'll just be my luck to get a call next week from some Baroque Consort
asking
> me if I could please tune their harpsichord and pianoforte to some
special
> temperament.  Then I will come back,hat in hand, asking for your help.
Then I