They Whiten Your Teeth and Freshen Your Breath

Billbrpt Billbrpt@aol.com
Tue, 17 Mar 1998 13:47:27 EST

<< The mean tone systems favor the slower beating thirds and  put them in the
"good" keys.  For me, this is kind of ironic: ...(snip) I think it was the
fast-beating thirds which I liked.  >>

It is ironic.  In a recent post by Tom Cole, I think this is what he found
intolerable.  Incidentally, the tempered 5th actually has a musical appeal to
many people who are simply musicians and have not been trained as tuners.
While I understand why a pure 5th sounds good to a tuner, a tempered one does
not necessarily sound unacceptable to the general population.

Also, musical context usually covers or disguises the sound of the tempered
5th.  It is rare in music to have an exposed 5th.  Usually there are more
notes being played which make it quite impossible to even discern that sound.
Sometimes however, that sound does "leak" through and a skilled tuner will
perceive it as a bad unison.  The general public however will usually not even
be aware of it.

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin