Keytop question - help

Robert Goodale Robert.Goodale@nau.edu
Tue, 17 Mar 1998 17:10:56 -0700

Dear list,

I have a client who recently had his Steinway "M" rebuilt by a reputable
shop. The keys had been recovered a number of years back with plastic,
and thus this was not included in the job. Now that he has this nice
piano to play he has suddenly become aware that the keytops are not as
nice as he would like. Being a professional player he is very fond of
the feel of Ivory, however, he is well aware that this is no-longer an
option, at least an affordable one.

We have discussed the possibility of installing bone keytops and he
really likes the idea. Not having done this before, can someone reflect
some of the pros and cons of this material? Who is doing bone today, and
about what would this cost ME (wholesale) to have the job done?

As an alternative, what other materials have some of you used? I have
traditionally used plain or yellowed plastic. I have never really found
a source for the so-called "textured" plastics that simulate the ivory
feel. Who has these and about what would the run?