Keytop question - help

Mike Masters agraffes@worldnet.att.net
Wed, 18 Mar 1998 15:50:14 +0000

Robert Goodale wrote:

> Dear list,
>
> I have a client who recently had his Steinway "M" rebuilt by a reputable
> shop. The keys had been recovered a number of years back with plastic,
> and thus this was not included in the job. Now that he has this nice
> piano to play he has suddenly become aware that the keytops are not as
> nice as he would like. Being a professional player he is very fond of
> the feel of Ivory, however, he is well aware that this is no-longer an
> option, at least an affordable one.
>
> We have discussed the possibility of installing bone keytops and he
> really likes the idea. Not having done this before, can someone reflect
> some of the pros and cons of this material? Who is doing bone today, and
> about what would this cost ME (wholesale) to have the job done?
>
> As an alternative, what other materials have some of you used? I have
> traditionally used plain or yellowed plastic. I have never really found
> a source for the so-called "textured" plastics that simulate the ivory
> feel. Who has these and about what would the run?

In a post from Susan Kline regarding Yvonne Ashmore replacing keytops
she mentioned Japanese material (Yamaha I believe). I personally have
not used it, but what I've heard is that it is a simulated ivory. It is
grained like ivory, it is porous (sp?) like ivory and it feels like
ivory. From another post I read, I think the material alone was close to
$200. I personally don't like the feel or the look of plastic, yellow,
white, grained like ivory, there is just a tremendous difference in feel
and quality between plastic and ivory.

Mike Masters
Masters Piano Service
Lakewood, OH