Nothing too Deep

George Gilliland lgd@epix.net
Wed, 18 Mar 1998 17:14:41 -0500 (EST)

Dear List Members:

I'm new to this list, so please forgive me if I raise a topic that's been
covered before:

I am presently looking to purchase a used 6' grand in the $9,000 and below
price range. There are a lot of 10-20-year old Yamaha G3s and C3s available
that fit that description. I recently played a 20-year-old G3 that I found
extremely pleasing. In fact, it seemed too good to be true at that price.

Therefore, my only concern is how much life I should expect from a Yamaha
this old. I've owned three less-than-satisfactory pianos and now I'm trying
find something I'll be happy with for some time to come. I wish I could
afford a new one but I can't.

If anyone could share their empirical knowledge/observations/opinions on
how well the soundboard, pinblock, action parts, and overall tone of a
10-20-year-old C3/G3 could be expected to hold up as the piano gets older
I'd very much appareciate it.

Below I have included some correspondence with a guy in MD who imports
large quantities of used pianos from Japan. If anyone has any opinions on
buying these pianos, I'd also appreciate it.

Thanks!
George Gilliland
lgd@epix.net

>Dear George,
>I would stay away from Yamaha or Kawai grands built prior to 1961.  Yamaha
>admits that their drying process was above 10% humidity.  Those in
>question when delivered to dry climates such as Arizona etc, would
>literally fall apart.  The  conditions on the east coast are similar to
>that of most of Japan, with humid summers and dry  winters.  I am
>receiving a huge shipment of Yamaha G-3 and the better Yamaha C-3 models
>that will be here on April 6.  We will deliver for free, guarantee 1 year,
>lifetime trade in policy with no time limit.  Yamaha Conservatory models
>sound a bit better that the older G-3 model, and I can sell you one for
>around $9,500.  I am interested in your Baldwin, but only for around
>$2,500. if it is only 4'8" long.  However, go price a new Yamaha C-3.  it
>is around $20,000., and I bet your dealer in N.J. would not sell you a
>1980 to 1990 Yamaha C-3 for only $9,500.  delivered.. Call me, and come
>out before the shipment arrives @ 1-800-466-2198.
>Thanks,
>RJones

Dear RJones,

How much better is a C3 than a G3? I read the Piano Book by Larry Fine, but
can't remember what he said about the comparison. I play only for personal
enjoyment, but can't bear to hear a piano with a poor tone. Definitely
don't need the sos. pedal. Is the C3 a different scale design? Better
parts, etc.? Nicer tone? Better hammers? I am principally interested in a
nice, round, even tone, from top to bottom. That's why I'm looking for a
six-footer.

How are the pinblocks, soundboards, and action parts on these Japanese
pianos after 20 years? I want something that sounds beautiful, and only
needs tuning 2-4X per year, nothing else. Reliable tone and action. I've
been through three pianos now, and my wife is running out of patience, so
this next purchase has to be THE one!

Are you saying that the C3s your getting in will be c1980-1990? At $9,500,
that definitely interests me. Does that mean fully regulated and ready to
go?

$2,500 seems fair for my piano. The $3,000 offered me was from the dealer I
bought it from. I paid $3,500 for it and invested $400 in the action
regulation (dumb, huh?), so that's a pretty sizable loss for me, but I just
don't enjoy playing it because of the short scale. But it's a clean,
pretty, piano that I am sure you can easily sell for $3,000-$3,500. I can
send or bring pictures and a testimonial from my technician and dealer if
necessary.

Thanks!
George

Little Garden Design