Curious Design (More)

Bob Anderson fndango@azstarnet.com
Wed, 18 Mar 1998 18:08:15 -0700

I became familiar with the technique of "free floating" ribs from Lew
Herwig, who designed a prototype piano for Young Chang with that
feature. An interesting observation I made on a piano I serviced only
once: the ribs were "too long" for the soundboard. They were notched
into the rim and had buckled away from the soundboard all the way from
rib number one to rib number thirteen (or however many ribs there were).
I don't know all the design reasons for floating ribs, but I sure saw
one case in which notching the ribs into the rim was a dismal failure.

Bob Anderson
Tucson, AZ