the other side of the fence

A440A A440A@aol.com
Thu, 19 Mar 1998 17:03:03 EST

Stephen writes:
> The fact is that a practical method for
>tuning ET existed in 1836 Paris...OJ's argument that ET was not used in
>the 19th C. because they has no method to tune it is not supported by the
>facts.

     I agree.  I think there is a better argument against the use of ET before
the late 1800's, but first we should define "use".
     Several years ago, Ed Kottick, (of harpsichord fame,along with George.
Lucktenberg)  opined that ET was  in practical use in Vienna in 1823, however,
its adoption was later in other places. According to Ed,  ET was in general
"use" everywhere by 1850.
      I have a problem with this, and this is why:  If we can take our present
situation as an indicator of how easily temperament practises change,  we see
that tuners will cling to what they know for a long time.  It has been almost
50 years since Murry Barbour published the evidence for a different approach
to tuning, and still the alternate tuners are in a very small minority.  This,
in the age of computers, airplanes, conventions, easily found publications,
SAT's and RCT"S , internet lists, etc!!
      If there is this much intransigence amongst us enlighted citizens of the
20th century, how much was there back when Montal began proposing the "better"
tuning?  Remember, we are comparing how tightly we cling to ET (perhaps a 150
year old  tuning) to how deeply embued the average instrument builder of 1830
was in the legacy of meantone.  Is it not unreasonable to think that ET took
70 years to finally be widely adopted, after its first publication?  I think
not, so 1900 is looking better all the time.
     The over-riding factor in our decision what to tune should be what it
sounds like, not what may or may not have been possible.  History gives us
pretty fair limits on what the composers may have had at their disposal.
This means that we get to use musical judgement, and not be bound by
convention.  This is a good place to be.
Regards,
Ed Foote
(the 1892 Steinway upright in the parlor just went into a Hawkes modified
Meantone today.  Big, smooth, "lay-there-and-wallow-in-it" harmony! )