Vintage Steinway

Greg Newell gnewell@EN.COM
Thu, 19 Mar 98 19:17:12

Greetings list friends,
	I wonder if you might be willing to voice yuor opinions or
help in a new dilemma I'm experiencing.  I recently won the job of
installing a set of hammers on an old 1885 steinway vertical.  Some
of you may remember the posts about hammers for the same instrument.
My newest wrinkle is that I discovered letoff screws that are broken
off at the rail.  I need to extract them , obviously, and I was
thinking of using a soldering iron lightly to loosen the remaining
screws and remove the rest for replacement.  Ideas?  Comments?
	The next difficulty in this matter is finding the proper
replacement screws.  The old ones measure  1 1/4 in.  as opposed to
the standard 1 1/8 in. that all the supply houses seem to have.  I
have tried APSCO, Shaff,  Pianotek, and Renner.  Are there any other
places I should try?  I'm a little worried about not having that
extra regulating room if it's ever needed.  Should I be?  I could
simply glue an extra felt on fight?  Or maybe even a thicker button?
What do your great minds come up with?  Did I leave out anything?
				Anxiously waiting,
					Greg Newell
Greg and Mary Ellen Newell
Greg's Piano Forte`