Keytops Again - Still need help

Robert Goodale Robert.Goodale@nau.edu
Fri, 20 Mar 1998 11:17:01 -0700

Jim Coleman, Sr. wrote:

> Hi Rob:
>
> You've met my son Jim Jr.  He has lots of Ivory heads which are new. Give
> him a call at (602)966-4055
>
> Jim Coleman, Sr.
>
> On Thu, 19 Mar 1998, Robert Goodale wrote:
>
> > Sorry if some of you have received this message twice - the net server
> > went down and my mail became lost in space.
> >
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Thanks to all that reponded to my questions regarding key tops. The info
> > on the synthetic tops is helpful and still remains very high on the
> > consideration list. I would still be interested, however, in learning
> > more about bone keytops. Who is providing this service, and about how
> > much? Any pros & cons that I should be aware of?
> >
> > Thanks for the help
> >
> > Rob Goodale, RPT

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the info. My concern with using ivories is that they may
simply be too thin. This piano originally had ivories, but they were
replaced with the plastic a number of years ago. Of course during this
process the key wood was routed/cut down to allow for the thickness of
the plastic. The bone tops that I have seen are considerably thicker,
somewhat like the plastic. Thus I thought perhaps the bone might work
better in this case?  I have still yet heard from anyone who has any
input on bone tops. Anyone????

Thanks

Rob Goodale, RPT