Pleyel Grand-Updated info-need opinions please

Gregory Torres Tunapiana@adisfwb.com
Fri, 20 Mar 1998 16:41:00 -0600

Dear friends,

I posted this on the list a few days ago and didn't get any response. I
think my mail server was down. I am re-sending it in the hopes that you
could perhaps take a moment of your time and your opinions on this.

I came across a Pleyel, Lyons & Cie  baby grand , approx. 5 1/2.  Serial
# on inside of case is 160303, andl # 685R underneath on soundboard
(might have been 635R). I looked up both  #'s  and if the number on
thesound  board is the correct one then this would put the date of
manufacture at 1808-1809?
If the number on the case is the rcorrect one then it would be 1913?
Also, additional #'s were 47F601 on pin block, 47601L on action, stamped
on flange rail.
The name on the fallboard was Pleyel, Paris. Case was rosewood.

Overall condition was fair, strings individually tied, hairline cracks
on soundboard
(with the grain). Bridges were excellent and everything appeared to be
original.
Pitch was roughly 15 cents flat but even.  Open face pin block. Might
need replacing or epoxy repair???

The action design was interesting. There were no individual hammer butt
flanges. There was a continuous split brass rail with screws about every
2 inches apart running the length of this rail and by loosening these
screws it was possible to remove the hammer/butts as a complete
assembly. There were no individual center pins-just one long "continuous
center pin". The whippens were interesting as well. They were similar to
the early Erard type as far as the drop adjustment but more like Collard
& Collard with respect to the knuckle/repetition lever. A coil spring
between the jack and the rep lever with a screw for tension adjustment.
The back checks were like present day design.

I did discover evidence of past termite infestation although not
extensive. Some of it was in the pin block and the rim and looks as if
it was repaired/treated in the past.

I was wondering if this piano would be something to consider purchasing
for restoration? Any opinions as to what it could be worth with partial
or full restoration would be welcome from all.

Thanks in advance,
Greg Torres

P.S. I spoke with the church today (original post was 3 days
ago) and I could purchase the instrument for $700.00...
FWIW