Weekend puzzler

Sat, 21 Mar 1998 13:35:35 -0800

JIMRPT wrote:

> List;
>  Something to think about.
>  Customer, with 6 year old S&S, 'M', called complaining of sticking key.  When
> I got to the house there was no sticking key and she could not remember which
> one it was (her husband is the player).  Sitting at the keyboard I quickly
> found the sticking key, G above middle C.  The key was "draggy" without the
> sustain pedal in use.
> What it was ?
> Jim Bryant (FL)

Two thoughts come to mind. The back of the key end felt is rubbing against one of its
neighbors' damper levers or the front of the key is rubbing against the key slip. I've
found both. In the latter case, and with one particular piano, it only happened when the
owner played. I couldn't get it to duplicate. Turned out, the owner was a VERY heavy man.

Oh, yes. One other thought. I've also found that on some of the S&S keyboards made by
Pratt-Read and/or Pratt-Win the front rail pins were occasionally bent to one side or the
other (for even key front spacing with the keys at rest) so much that when certain keys
approached the bottom of their travel they would rub against their neighbors.

-- ddf