Used Yamahas from Japan?

Roger Jolly baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Sat, 21 Mar 1998 17:03:47

Greetings Walter,
                 We purchased several of these units last summer and had
the fore sight to keep them through the winter. We found that tuning pin
torque dropped to the point of being well on the border line of acceptability.
 The strings were very rusty, the result of industrial pollution. Centre
pins were very green. These units were heavily used in Japanese institutions.
 The result was that we replaced
Hammers,shanks,dampers,strings,pins,rebushed keys,and all trap work.
 If you are from a coastal climate the unit may be a good buy, but if you
are located in any extreme dry zone of the Continent be VERY cautious.
 For my own education one G2 was rebuilt with Yamaha replacement parts the
other with Canadian custom bass strings, and Abel hammers, with Stanwoods
action weight corrections. Both instruments turned out well, but now I am
not sure if its the Hammers or the Bass strings that has produced the
fuller and warmer bass response, or both,on the after market parts.
 I would carefully check the ser.# as to age, many dealers are not shy in
shaving a decade off the time.
 At least you have done the right thing in giving your client,some solid
back ground data.
Hope all goes well
Roger