They're ready for you!

Clyde Hollinger cedel@redrose.net
Sun, 22 Mar 1998 19:57:18 -0500

Friends:

I've been on this list for less than a week.  For those who do a lot of
home service calls, this tip might help.

I used to get tired of having to clear everything but the refrigerator
off the top of the piano.  Some of my clients also seemed unaware that
the TV or sweeper could be bothersome.  So,...

I began sending each client a postcard several days before the
appointment.  Here is the text (more professionally typeset, to be
sure):

APPOINTMENT:  Your piano is scheduled for service (line for me to write
in the day of the week and the date).  I am planning to arrive between
(space for earliest and latest arrival times we agreed on by phone).
     A quiet atmosphere will help me do the best job for you.  It will
also be helpful if all items are removed from the piano before I
arrive.  Please call attention to any additional problems so they can be
attended to.  THANK YOU!

I have never had an objection to any of these suggestions.  19 out of 20
pianos are bare when I arrive except maybe for the piano lamp.  Clients
sometimes have their kids whispering to each other -- more than I ask
for, but I don't object.  Life has been a lot easier for the past
several years since I began doing this.  If someone finds this useful I
would be glad to know.  No, it's not copyrighted; go right ahead!

Clyde Hollinger, RPT