How do I find these things? (was vintage Steinway)

Greg Newell gnewell@EN.COM
Sun, 22 Mar 98 22:29:04

List,
	First let me thank all of you who responded to my questions
about hammers and letoff screws for this piano action.  I have a
rather fun new wrinkle.  It seems that the letoff screws don't seem
to want to come out evenm with plenty of heat.  I found a solderinjg
iron to be useless so I switched to propane.  This was effective for
a while.  I was able to remove about 8-10 or so before the screws
started breaking off even after getting them cherry red with the
propane.  I stopped at that number because the onl;y access I was
getting was after I removed the wippens from their rail. At about the
same numer (8-10) those screws started breaking off too!!!!!  What to
do? What to doo????  I'm leaning to  soldering in replacement rails
if the customer will pay for it.  Is this a viable solution for a
piano of this vintage?  Should I replace the dowels inside instead?
What kinds of things can I expect from either?  What would you do and
why?  Thanks again for your past help!  I'm looking forward to your
input on this one too! ;>)
					Greg Newell
Greg and Mary Ellen Newell
Greg's Piano Forte`