felt glueing question

BSimon1234 BSimon1234@aol.com
Mon, 23 Mar 1998 08:34:26 EST

Gordon Large wrote:

<<I'm replacing the felt on the bottom of the stickers on an old upright
action,
but I'm not having much luck getting them all to come out the same.  The felt
is glued at the front and back of the sticker, leaving the bottom unglued. >>

I'll bet you cannot do it as well as the factory. That is because they
probably put all the stickers tightly in a row in a vice just by themselves
and hot glued one felt strip down the length of the row. They probably used a
special clamp or caul, and later when the glue was dry they used a knife to
separate the stickers. That is how the factory does a lot of felting, and it
comes out very uniform.

I just had a bunch of trouble doing exactly what you mention. I "solved" it by
punching out round buttons of action felt, uniform rectangles would do also,
and gluing them to the bottom of the stickers.  I don't think that the glue
will be a problem, as I have seen numerous actions with the action felt glued
to the bottom of the stickers. Looked good too. Don't use action felt that is
too fuzzy or initial regulation will be indeterminate.

Good luck. If you do something different than what I did, I would appreciate
your report.

Bill Simon
Phoenix