How do I find these things? (was vintage Steinway)

Greg Newell gnewell@EN.COM
Mon, 23 Mar 98 18:02:20

On Sun, 22 Mar 1998 22:10:12 -0600 (CST), Keith McGavern wrote:

>If I understand your situation, Greg, here's what I have done before on a
>Steinway grand.  If you have clearance on your vintage Steinway, you should
>be able to do it as well.
>
>For the ones that have broken off, I used the smallest drill bit and
>drilled a hole *right next* to the screw, sometimes on both sides, all the
>way through.  This allowed a space to move the frozen screw and remove it.
>Then I drilled out the wood with a larger bit, plugged the hole, and
>redrilled the plug to accept new regulating screws.
>
>Works quite nicely.
>
>Keith A. McGavern
Keith,
would you also use this technique on a vertical action with brass
rails with the dowel inside?  Not much room to drill a hole next to
the broken pin unless I drill through the brass.
				Greg
Greg and Mary Ellen Newell
Greg's Piano Forte`
Lakewood, Ohio 44107