evolution

Anne Beetem abeetem@wizard.net
Mon, 23 Mar 1998 20:26:39 -0500

>Evolution, yes. Better, no.  The mistake is the ubiquitous modern
>misunderstanding of what evolution means. Modern pianos are just
>different from historical pianos. They are adapted in response to their
>environment. Musical requirements changed, the pianos changed to match.
>This is the essence of Darwinian evolution. Not betterment in any sense
>of the word. Pianos are not made the way they were in 1810 (present
>company excepted) precisely because such an instrument would not meet the
>requirements of the late 20th Century consumer/pianist.

Please make that your typical 20th century consumer/pianist, Stephen!.

>> The process of evolution goes on. Where do we want to go from here?
>>
>What is happening now is stagnation. The modern piano is no longer
>evolving. And we are all aware of the potential consequences for the
>industry that are looming on the horizon.
>
>Stephen

Hear, hear!    I would also like to add to the discussion of tonal
qualities, and emphasize  the tremendous breadth of tonal possibilities of
the 18th and early 19th century pianos.    Not only across registers,  but
different touches, different "placing" of the notes gives different tonal
qualities, allowing for quiet inner voices to sound clearly through the
other voices.   I find so much of,  e.g. Schubert,  and even Brahms,  and
yes,  Liszt,  is lost on the modern piano,  even in the hands of a skilled
player.    The early piano can teach us what the possibilities are, and
make us better players of the modern piano.

 As for the tuning arguments,  well, you noticed I've been staying out of
it,  as I think we're repeating ourselves.   We can hope that   excepting
more contemporary evidence which we hope will appear.

The key here, is aural tuning "to taste", which one must agree would vary.
I admire Jorgenson's Bible, though I certainly have many disagreements with
the leaps he makes from written word to methods, and with his restriction
of documents.   Still, as a source for much information it is a treasure.
We just must remember it is not the Word of God, but his own "taste".

I do believe that Ed Foote and Mr. Bill are correct in examining different
tuning schemes on modern pianos.   Here is an example of energy vs.
stagnation and blind acceptance.   Whether or not one likes it is a matter
of taste.   We cannot know if Hummel's advocation of ET meant what we mean
by ET in this century.   The ideal perhaps,  but what was the reality?

Anne

No,  I don't want to get into that anymore today.  We've all staked our
positions for now.

Anne Beetem
Harpsichords & Historic Pianos
2070 Bingham Ct.