evolution

Anne Beetem abeetem@wizard.net
Mon, 23 Mar 1998 20:32:36 -0500

May I add, as long as I'm flooding the list, that after examining the
chords of your 20th century jazz pianists,  I don't see at all why ET is
necessary.    Suspended fourths etc, have long been in use before ET, as
have sevenths, ninths,......     Perhaps not so thickly, but that is
possibly the nature of the modern piano to embrace dense chordal structures
and send all the harmonics spinning away together.    One of my recording
engineers,  a jazz pianist,   was thrilled with the Victorian tuning I had
on his studio piano for a while.  He was having an "Excellent Time"  as he
put it.  We retuned it for the less imaginative sorts for the next project.

Anne

Anne Beetem
Harpsichords & Historic Pianos
2070 Bingham Ct.