How do I find these things? (was vintage Steinway)

Keith McGavern kam544@ionet.net
Mon, 23 Mar 1998 21:59:07 -0600 (CST)

>Keith,
>would you also use this technique on a vertical action with brass
>rails with the dowel inside?  Not much room to drill a hole next to
>the broken pin unless I drill through the brass.
>                                Greg
>Greg and Mary Ellen Newell

If it's the typical Steinway brass rail with dowel inside, yes.  And no, I
didn't have to drill through the brass.  I used a 1/16" bit to aid in
removing the broken let-off regulating screw that I could no longer grip
with small vise grips, then drilled out just a shade less that the diameter
of the brass hole diameter, then doweled it, then redrilled a hole in the
dowel to accept the new let-off regulating screw.

Keith A. McGavern
kam544@ionet.net
Registered Piano Technician
Oklahoma Chapter 731