Whitening Ivory

Tim Keenan & Rebecca Counts tkeenan@kermode.net
Tue, 24 Mar 1998 09:39:44 -0800

Hi List--

Regarding Hydrogen Peroxide (H-O-O-H):
Larry Fisher wrote:

> I found mine at a scientific supply house.  They sell microscopes, chemical
> compounds >SNIP

It is available at the local Co-op Farm and Garden Supply here, as
food-grade hydrogen peroxide at, I believe, 35%. Not expensive. Used for
oxygenating the soil of house and nursery plants. (diluted!).  I have
used it for bleaching ivory and with some success for reducing those
black stains from watermarks in oak.

> When this stuff hits your skin you don't feel it
> since it doesn't evaporate like alcohol or water leaving you with that
> cooling sensation.  Instead, it turns your skin white a few minutes later,
> and then after a few more minutes you start to notice you can count the
> number of nerve endings it manages to reach.  This process continues for the
> next few hours until the affected area dilutes it's effects.  You body
> regenerates the skin in a matter of a few days to weeks depending on the
> size of the affected area. > SNIP

It is a very effective bleaching agent because it is a strong oxidant.
It is a strong oxidant because it rapidly decomposes to free-radical
oxygen and water.  The extra oxygen molecule would rather be attached to
just about anything else than to those other three atoms, which really
want nothing more than to be about the most stable compound in the
world--water.  In order for the free-radical oxygen to attach to you, it
needs to break the bonds that are holding your skin, cornea, or other
integument together.  It is very good at this. You should not only wear
gloves, but eye protection as well. Corneas are not nearly as good at
repairing themselves as skin is.   There is also a high risk of
spontaneous combustion of oxidizable materials (cotton rags, q-tips,
paper towels, clothing) if the concentrated material is left to dry on
them.

The Merck Index advises:

In case of contact, immediately flush with plenty of water for at least
15 minutes; for eyes, get medical attention.  Avoid contamination from
any source, including metals, dust, etc.  Such contamination may cause
rapid decomposition, generating large quantities of oxygen gas and high
pressures.  Store in original closed container.  Be sure that the
container vent is working satisfactorily.  Do not add any other product
to container.  When empty, rinse thoroughly with clean water.

I also would not keep it in the same cupboard with my organic solvents.

Tim Keenan
Terrace, BC