Spring fever (or feverish springs)

A440A A440A@aol.com
Wed, 25 Mar 1998 15:26:02 EST

Hi Ed
<<I still feel a fast rise after check is best for performance...not a
"strong"
spring but a properly set spring.  Would love to see at what speed you are
setting rise.  I wonder how far off we set our actions. >>

      I set the springs as fast as I possibly can, without being able to feel
their recoil through the key upon release from check.  It is an observation of
mine that a Steinway action,  set with virtually no spring rise to the key
but checking 1/4" from the string, will repeat faster than an action with a
lot of spring that checks 7/8" from the string.  Try it!
Regards,
Ed Foote