No Subject

Wimblees Wimblees@aol.com
Wed, 25 Mar 1998 19:42:30 EST

>List;
>  I have a water damaged piano in the shop.  The damage is to the
>pinblock/strings/tuning pins, which will all be replaced.  The keys also got
>wet, no warping, loose glue joints or any other esuch problem,
>but............the keys are growing a forest of mildew and quite a few keys
>are stained from the mildew.
>QUESTION: What is your favorite method of removing mildew stains? Bleach?
>Peroxide? X-14? Or other? (the stains are deep enough so that sandblasting is
>not an option).
>Jim Bryant (FL)

I don't know if the stains of mildew can be removed, since they are in the
grain of the wood. I am afraid if you soak the wood too much with bleach or
other substance, it might be more harmful to  the key.

Also, just because the keys are not warping now, they could in the future.
Just a couple of weeks a go I asked how to unwarp a key that was water damaged
9 months ago. I would suggest you tell the customer to keep the case open with
the insurance company, to cover any problems in the future.

Willem Blees  RPT
St. Louis