Another Broadwood

Wed, 25 Mar 1998 20:56:39 -0800

The List:

Well, I have another Broadwood question. (No, I don't know why we keep getting these
things...)

This one is a more-or-less straight strung 7' 9" or 10" grand. We were given a number --
8454 -- which may be the serial number. (The piano came to us in pieces. We are only
putting in a new soundboard and making new bridges.) The piano has an 85 note scale. There
are 8 mono-chord wrapped unisons, 3 bi-chord wrapped unisons and 8 tri-chord wrapped
unisons. It is extremely slender at the foot. The plate is made basically in two parts, a
hitch pin panel and a tuning pin panel. The struts are separate pieces. It all interlocks
rather cleverly with a minimal number of bolts.

Now for the problem: The piano was taken apart elsewhere and no record exists of the
original stringing scale. Although we are not going to be stringing the piano I have been
asked to furnish some idea of an appropriate stringing scale. My question is, does anyone
have any idea what the original stringing scale tensions may have been like?

Thanks,

Del