evolution/ Horace G's Marpurg I choice

Thu, 26 Mar 1998 11:51:01 -0800

Bill,

Take a soma.

Give it all a very long and, hopefully convincing, rest.

Your decision to cc: me separately while posting publicly
is, at the least, annoying.  Thus, I am returning the favor.

Doing real concert work is rather like riding a Harley.  Since it
seems clear that it needs to be explained, you wouldn't
understand anyway, so I won't try.

Have a nice day!

(With contrite apologies to the rest of the list for this snit.)

Horace

At 06:33 AM 3/26/1998 EST, you wrote:

><< Oh, well.
>
> Back to what passes for reality, and no, Bill, I wouldn't think of using
that
>Viotti temperament for Beethoven 5, Marpurg I is a much more appropriate
>choice.  Further (just to keep things really rolling), the instrument is
tuned
>to 444, with the top streched to beat the band (literally), and the bass
>almost-but-not-quite collapsed for the same reason.  (Beethoven uses way too
>much first inversion writing to trust an orchestra that plays _really_ wide
>thirds.)
> Best to all.
>  Horace >>
>
>Your choice of temperament seems quite odd to me.  Why would you choose a
>Quasi-Equal Temperament with 9 pure 5ths only to have 2 of those which are
>noticeably tempered be the very ones which the piece has written more than
any
>others?  Wouldn't a regular ET have sounded better?
>
>Wouldn't the very wide broken chords and 10ths in B major in the slow
movement
>in the Valotti temperament have better suited this orchestra that you say
>plays such wide 3rds?  When the piano plays in close harmony in Eb & Bb,
it is
>mostly solo work.  How could this conflict with the orchestra?  Why would
they
>play wider 3rds than what they hear from the piano?  The Marpurg I 3rds are
>only a little wider than the Eb & Bb in the Valotti.  Why is this such a
>better temperament and why would you "not think" of using the Valotti or any
>other WT?
>
>Why is it that, as you say, only 3 artists you have ever met could tell which
>temperament was on the piano even worthy of posting on the List as a comment?
>Is that any reason to make any decision about any temperament whatsoever?
>What does this imply?  Should ET be the only choice because in your
>experience,  very few could identify which temperament you tuned by name?
>Why did you challenge Tom Cole to identify which temperament you tuned?  What
>would that prove or demonstrate either way?  He obviously knows ET as his
>working temperament and is interested but inexperienced in the HT's.  Why
>would you challenge someone to identify something that you would expect him
>not to be able to do?
>
>Previously, you made a point of saying that your temperament would definitely
>not be Victorian.  Would you please explain to the List why a Marpurg I is
>such a superior choice to  Victorian?  Would not the cleaner sounding
>Victorian 5ths of all the keys played in the Beethoven 5th have been suitable
>to the music?  Why is the atonality of the Marpurg I superior  to the
>historically precedented tonal qualities of the Victorian in your opinion?
>
>Did you ask the artist if she wanted ET or a Marpurg I?  If not, do you think
> [...]
Horace Greeley, CNA, MCP, RPT

Systems Analyst/Engineer
Controller's Office
Stanford University