tech fees

Wimblees Wimblees@aol.com
Thu, 26 Mar 1998 19:50:09 EST

>It was not my intention to to start talking about prices for two
>reasons.
>
>1)  There are legal ramifications.  Something about being
>anticompetitive by trying to influence others which can look like price
>fixing.

It only becomes a legal problem if, at a meeting of piano tuners in a given
locality,  everyone voted to charge a certain fee. Now this is against the law
for independent contractors, although it seems perfectly legal for unions to
do. Go figure.

>2)  Remember 76 trombones:  ".....but he doesn't know the territory."?
>My piano service market, and the niche that I have carved out of it, is
>bound to be very different from yours.
>
>There may also differences between shop rates and field rates, and
>certainly differences between gross and net.

>Look to your needs, your costs, your value to your clients, and to
>comparable professions.  The last place to look is to your
>competition.... something about the deaf leading the deaf.

Yes, different locallities should charge different fees, and each individual
should charge according to their own needs. But you should charge the same
rate for your labor in the shop, driving on the road, or in a customer's home.
And you need to be paid the same rate for your time, regardless of your
activity, be it tuning, replacing bridlestraps, or regulating a concert grand.

Willem Blees RPT
St. Louis