..cleaning a cabinet..

Wimblees Wimblees@aol.com
Thu, 26 Mar 1998 20:01:56 EST

>.a Kimball 4243 has made its way onto the dealer floor..it tuned up
>ok..the finish has yellowed something awful over the years..the
>original color is/was an antique white..and I would like to know if
>there is anything I can do to this finish to bring back its original
>color..it's in good shape other than the cabinet turning a
>yellowish/gold color..
>
>..as always, thanks..
>The Rookie

We had the same problem with a French Provencial console piano. The yellow
color was caused by cigaret smoke. We used two different methods, but each
took a considerable amount of elbow grease. Dow Boathroom Cleaner, the one
with scrubbing bubbles,  worked very well. Spray it on the surface and let it
sit for a couple of minutes. Then use Scotch Bright abrasive pads. If the
Scotch Bright pads didn't work, I actually used 220 wet and dry sandpaper on a
straight line sander. Use a lot of water to clean off the soap scum, and
polish the cabinet with a funrinure polish. The end resutl was very rewarding.
We also used Naptha and the sand paper.

Good luck.

Willem Blees  RPT
St. Louis.