evolution/ Horace G's Marpurg I choice

Billbrpt Billbrpt@aol.com
Thu, 26 Mar 1998 22:15:47 EST

<< From my viewpoint it seems presumptuous on your part to say you know what
 lies in another man's heart and mind governing some of their actions and
 knowledge, but since you are the one who stated what you did above, I would
 appreciate hearing the answers to each of the questions you asked.  Here
 they are as you posted early: >>

I'll be glad to answer each and every one when I have the time to do so.
Currently, I have but a few minutes here and there to spend at the computer
and would like to participate more, such as answering Greg T.'s question about
tonality but I don't have time for everything.

As I stated, I asked the questions as a lawyer would.  A lawyer would be a
fool to ask a question he/she did not already know, or have a very good idea
of what the answer is.  When I see someone making statements of which I have
sincere doubts about the credibilty and background knowledge being made on
this List, I feel that this takes precedence over everything else.  I want to
know why Horace used the Marpurg I. I certainly know why I would not have in
this case.  I think I know why he did and I think as well that his reasoning
was not based so much on knowledge and experience but on knowing that ET was
inadequate.  The alternatives to ET go far beyond the Marpurg I.  While this
might well be a temperament I might choose on a very rare occasion, it would
absolutely never be the one that I would choose for the Beethoven 5th piano
concerto.  My decision against the Marpurg I would be based upon experince,
the knowledge of a great many HT's and an intimate knowledge of the score.  On
which reasoning or set of beliefs was Horace's decision based?

It is not that I would have been displeased if Horace had not chosen the
Vallotti temperament for good sound reasoning, it is because I, yours truly,
recommended it, that he chose to flippantly remark in a post script that he
"wouldn't think of [it]."  Let no one accuse me of having "attacked" anyone
until it is realized that what I have said, and asked, is only a response to
what I have read.  It has never been otherwise.

Horace says that "I wouldn't understand" why a "real" concert tuner like he
claims to be would choose the Marpurg I in this case.  I think he owes the
List a full and complete accounting of why he chose the temperament he did and
why he felt it necessary to challenge others to come to the concert and guess
which one it was.  Did the artist guess correctly?  Or did she just accept the
tuning as "normal"?  Will there be a civil case about this incident, being
that it was a violation of "common law"?

There I go with more questions.

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin