Temperament choice, Beethoven 5th Concerto

Richard Moody remoody@easnet.net
Fri, 27 Mar 1998 02:57:21 -0600

The first consideration for temperament would be what the composer
specified. Now in the case of ALL of the composers, NOT ONE said what the
temperament should be. Perhaps Bach came closest when he titled the Well
Tempered Clavier. Unfortunatly he did not indicate what Well Tempered was,
or how it should be tuned.
	But here we are in modern times and we have to decide how to tune a piano
so  it can play Beethoven's 5th Piano Concerto with an orchestra.
Beethoven left us clue-less.  The logical question begging the logical
answer is "How does the orchestra tune?"--- so tune the piano that way.
Now some explaining has to be done, even to a tuner such as myself with
only a little musical knowledge at least as far as orchestras goes.  They
don't play in different temperaments, their intervals are  centered around
Just Intonation, no matter what key they play in, unless I am gravely
mistaken.
	We know the piano can't be tuned in Just Intonation.So how then should it
be tuned to play with an orchestra that plays in Just Intonation?  The
logical answer is Equal Temperament.   Because ET is the one temperament
closest to all of the key signatures in Just Intonation. In other words, a
piano tuned in ET will match more closely the pitches played by an
orchestra, in any given key, and from key to key, and any key changes
within the composition.
	Now please notice I talked about pianos playing with orchestras.  If one
wants to tune a different temperament for a piano, he or she would be
considering that only if the piano is to be used as a solo instrument. For
chorus or orchestra, ET is the "universal" temperament for the piano.
	Now the advocates for "other" temperaments will have their say, but
please remember Beethoven didn't.  By the way, what key is the 5th
Concerto in??  Any other choice for temperament based on musical theory at
least deserves to be heard.
Richard Moody