Varnishing new tuning pins

ETomlinCF3 ETomlinCF3@aol.com
Fri, 27 Mar 1998 20:10:47 EST

Jerry go with the Satin Spar Varnish.  Clean all the holes with the rifle
brush first then dip the brush in the varnish till it wont drip to bad.  Swab
about three holes then re-dip.  Should do the trick.  Wait a day or two for it
to dry.  Some on the list will dip the pin then pound but I don't think that
is the way to go.  Have done many as discribed below and all feel good to this
day.

Ed Tomlinson

<<
 I'm getting ready to do my first re-stringing job and am putting in new
 pins. As suggested by many on this list, I plan on swabbing the holes
 with varnish before inserting the new pins, and would appreciate some
 input on what kind of varnish. I looked at my local homecenter
 yesterday, and there's all kinds: oil based, water based, poly-whatever,
 etc. They did have one kind of "Satin Spar Varnish". The more specific
 the better (being the type that agonizes over such things).

 Thanks.
 --
 Jerry Hunt >>