Varnishing new tuning pins

A440A A440A@aol.com
Fri, 27 Mar 1998 22:09:38 EST

Greetings all,
      I have been reading all these proponents of using varnish for the tuning
pins, and I suppose that it works for them.  However,  lest some get the idea
that all technicians do this, allow me to put in a vote from "the other side".
    I have been restringing pianos for the last 20 years, and I have never
used anything on the tuning pins at all.  I make sure that my hands stay clean
while stringing, I clean the pins with acetone before their use, I mic all
pins before installation, and I keep the pins in a box with plain unscented
talc while I work.  I don't have jumpy pins, and my torque readings are within
four or five pounds of each other.  Many of these stringing jobs are tuned
over 100 times a year.
   It is possible to get the desired result without the use of varnish, so
let's not promote it as an absolute requirement.
Regards,
Ed Foote
Precision Piano Works
Nashville, Tn.