Temperament choice, Beethoven 5th Concerto

Anne Beetem abeetem@wizard.net
Sat, 28 Mar 1998 10:00:44 -0500

>Actually I would really rather ask that than state it, as I am not an
>orchestra player, execpt for percussion, and even that is limited to only
>one semester. So adjust their intonation from what?

Instrumentalists constantly adjust their intonation to each other.   In
larger groups, sans piano, there is more standardization to, e.g. ET,
particularly as the last generation of kids have had "tuning to the strobe
box"  beaten into them in the public schools, instead of being taught to
listen to themselves and each other (admittedly it is fraught with peril to
listen to your other novice neighbors in a middle school or high school
orchestra).

String quartets are very enlightening to observe.  Get some recordings of
some excellent quartets,  Guarneri,  Turtle Island, e.g. and listen to how
they adjust to each other.    I read a marvelous article about string
intonation and adaptation by the Turtle Island crew many years back.  The
range of pitches per 'note' which they used as appropriate was eye opening.
There was considerable discussion of making decisions for playing the
relative intervals in a chord distributed amongst the instruments.  The
conundrum of piano tuning choices was all there in their dynamic decisions.
Dynamic, though, is a deceptive word, as in rehearsals these decisions were
made, and discussed when unsatisfactory.

>	Your  observation about "keyboard continuo" is something I would
>like to
>learn more about. This has been mentioned before, but sometimes complex
>concepts take time and explanation to to be comprehended. .  Is keyboard
>continuo the sound of the harpsichord in baroque music such as  Vivaldi,
>"The four Seasons"?  Is the part the harpsichord is playing called
>continuo?  Were there "rules" that defined this part?

Yes,  yes.    Also continuo was notated for piano, e.g. through the tuttis
in Beethoven's concertos.

The rules were: (grossly simplified)  stick to the base line, play above
withing the notated harmonies,  complement, decorate, and be a good rhythm
section, a structural frame.

>If you listen to the harpsichord and the orchestra, how much does it
>really sound in tune? It seems that some places aren't so good as others.
>Is it the players, is it me, is it the tonality of plucked iron strings
>played against bowed  strings? Is that why it is kept in the back ground
>so much?

No, it's because recording engineers use traditional recording methods
which don't work for small orchestras with a continuo harpsichord!   The
art of recording the harpsichord is just recently getting somewhere.  Of
course,   the relatively tonality will not always be "perfect".  In rapid
sections,  it won't matter.   In slow, chordal passages, it will.

>There is something called Thorough Bass.  Does this have anything do do
>with the harpsichord?

See the bass line discussion, continuo playing above.   Too much to discuss
on this list.

>>What is contrapuntal?

Counter melodies, or the same melody, played in different voices, often
staggered, as opposed to a single melody line with purely harmonic
accompaniment.

>	One last note on tuning, isn't there a statement in Bach's WTC that
>they
>can all be played without retuning? Does that mean harpsichordists retuned
>for certain keys when not playing in the temperament of WTC? Wouldn't they
>also retune  for orchestras?
>
>Richard Moody

Yes,  yes.    Though generally one planned one's pieces so only minimal
retuning might be necessary, e.g. putting in Ab's instead of G#'s.

Anne

Anne Beetem
Harpsichords & Historic Pianos
2070 Bingham Ct.