Varnishing new tuning pins

ETomlinCF3 ETomlinCF3@aol.com
Sat, 28 Mar 1998 14:41:02 EST

Ed F.,

You are a lucky man.  I find it hard to imagine that you have never had a
jumpy pin.  Good for you ...buy me a lotery ticket.  LOL

Ed Tomlinson

<< Greetings all,
       I have been reading all these proponents of using varnish for the
tuning
 pins, and I suppose that it works for them.  However,  lest some get the idea
 that all technicians do this, allow me to put in a vote from "the other
side".
     I have been restringing pianos for the last 20 years, and I have never
 used anything on the tuning pins at all.  I make sure that my hands stay
clean
 while stringing, I clean the pins with acetone before their use, I mic all
 pins before installation, and I keep the pins in a box with plain unscented
 talc while I work.  I don't have jumpy pins, and my torque readings are
within
 four or five pounds of each other.  Many of these stringing jobs are tuned
 over 100 times a year.
    It is possible to get the desired result without the use of varnish, so
 let's not promote it as an absolute requirement.
 Regards,
 Ed Foote  >>