Sticking Jacks

PNOTNR PNOTNR@aol.com
Sat, 28 Mar 1998 16:37:45 EST

<<   I'm working on an Acrosonic console from the '50s with a sticky
 treble. Most notes in the top third stick after much play (maybe once in
 30 hits). It's very erratic. I eased the keys and lubed the flanges
 which only partially helped. The whippen stays up, not the key, but the
 whippen drops when the hammer is pushed forward just a bit, so I think
 the jack is sticking against the butt. Sure enough, the butt felts
 (buckskin?) are graphited heavily. I replaced one with buckskin dusted
 with teflon. It stuck even worse than the others. I then put in a
 heavier jack spring, and this seems to work, but it gives a heavier
 touch. I've seen this problem in other pianos. Some tuners have glued
 weights to the whippen, etc. Any ideas?

 Thanks,

 Philip Jamison
 West Chester, PA >>

Just a thought....what kind of shape are the jack springs in?

Gordon Large, RPT
Mt. Vernon, ME