aftertouch

Sat, 28 Mar 1998 14:04:54 -0800

Roger Jolly wrote:

> Have you tried the Yamaha made tool, nice and thin, best I've used thus
> far.

Oh, I get them to work. I have a couple of tools that I've modified for the purpose that get
in there. It's just that the job is made unnecessarily difficult by certain action designs and
there doesn't seem to be any performance benefit in return.

> I've had several "technicians" tell me that those screws were pre-set at the factory and
> were not supposed to be tampered with in the field.
>

>     Not a bad idea (SMILE), the way I've found some jacks set????

Well, now that you mention it...

> This is especially true with capstan felts, jack letoff punchings, hammershank knuckles and
> center and front rail felt key punchings.
>

> Totally agree. I frequently iron front rail punchings to attain a solid
> and well determined dip.
>
> Roger

You can also store them under compression in a high-humidity chamber also. Actually, just
storing them under compression just seems to help.

The question, of course, is: why aren't thin key punchings of higher density readily
available?

Del