Temperament choice, Beethoven 5th Concerto

Susan Kline skline@proaxis.com
Sat, 28 Mar 1998 23:06:28

Stephen wrote:
> Don't forget
>too, the unfortunate "raised leading tone" used by tacky violinists
>still, like a super-e.t. effect.

I suppose it's my fault, for talking about making (melodic) major and minor
thirds too close in size, which I thought led to a slovenly effect, and
likened to poor diction.

I think the raised leading tone did not arise from exposure to e.t., but
from sensitivity to the implications of functional harmony. It's a style,
like narrow major thirds are a style.

Perhaps it's time to stop throwing slurs at each other for different styles
of musicianship?

Susan

P.S. How many of those taking part in this discussion of orchestral
intonation have played in professional orchestras?

Susan Kline
P.O. Box 1651
Philomath, OR 97370
skline@proaxis.com

"Relax! Between the inconceivably big and the inconceivably
small, there's an area where everything is perfetly conceivable!"
		-- Ashleigh Brilliant