aftertouch

Newton Hunt nhunt@jagat.com
Sun, 29 Mar 1998 14:53:54 -0500

Del is very much on point about aftertouch, leveling, dip on naturals
and jack positioning.

Leveling naturals is easy, you can SEE the differences.  Sharps are a
little more difficult; they should be leveled at 12 mm above the
naturals.  I had too concert grands on stage.  One pianist prefered one
sound, but complained that the sharps were higher than the one he liked
for its touch.  Sure enough, the sharps were 12.5 mm instead of 12.  I
releveled the sharps before this performance.

Jack positioning I do at each end, by shight, then by touch.  I then
regulate all the rest to those two so each has the same amount of rub on
the knuckle coming out and going in.  For this adjustment the springs,
the lever height and let-off have to be close.

After regulating the dip on the naturals I do the drop and aftertouch on
the sharps.  When the drop is done the backchecks, springs, lever height
and jack position are rechecked, as is the aftertouch of each key is
compared.  I adjust the lever height so that I can feel the jack return
to it's rest position firmly, but still brush the knuckle.  This way any
variation in jack spring tension is taken into account.

All said and done, a concert regulation requires going though the action
three times, each time getting closer to as good as it gets.

Touch is critical, learning how to FEEL the differences is most the
important skill a regulator can learn.

Specifictions and sight regulation are all well and good, but it is the
feel that pianists respond to after tune and tone.

Ya'all have a good week.

	Newton