Aftertouch Question Meas.

Susan Kline skline@proaxis.com
Sun, 29 Mar 1998 15:34:30

At 05:40 PM 3/29/98 EST, you wrote:
>Et al;
> On the little Kawai that I am working on I measured the sharp #43 and the
>natural #44 (the straighest keys) measurements are to the centerline at
>capstan/balance rail pin and to the keyfront.
>
>			Capstan to Bal. rail--BR to key front	total
>Sharp		10.5cm					21.2cm			31.7cm
>Natural	12.35cm				24.6cm			36.95cm
>
> Work with the ratios and see which key works harder and which hammer moves
>farther/faster.
>Jim Bryant (FL)

2.02 for the sharp (ratio of rear to front)
1.99 for the natural (ratio of rear to front)

Natural wins the speed test by a hair!  But it's neck and neck.

Now, Jim, since you're being so helpful ---

Does the greater mass of the natural key make up for the tiny difference,
by introducing more inertia?

Or, does the leading make up for it? Which key is heavier, and what is the
balance of each?

Maybe I need a nice gram scale and jig, like I saw David Stanwood using in
his class at the convention, to weigh the balance of the key.

If this sort of posting goes on much longer, I may shed a few grams of
ignorance ...

Susan

Susan Kline
P.O. Box 1651
Philomath, OR 97370
skline@proaxis.com

"Relax! Between the inconceivably big and the inconceivably
small, there's an area where everything is perfetly conceivable!"
		-- Ashleigh Brilliant