Aftertouch Question???

Roger Jolly baldyam@sympatico.ca
Sun, 29 Mar 1998 19:54:34 -0800

JIMRPT wrote:
>Jim,
      At the level of reg. that we are discussing, the after touch
should always be consistent through out. But we are forced to live with
the key travel parameters, unless we want to get into repositioning
capstans and action stacks. I don't think the professional pianist feels
the difference of .015 to .020 of sharp travel as much as they feel the
uneveness of after touch, most players want that secure stop when they
hit bottom and want the after touch to be the same,for all keys, even
though they are striking the sharps differently than the naturals.
Because the finger raise higher to strike the sharps, the sensation to
the player is different, hence the travel distance is less noticable
because the fingers are using the muscles in a slightly different
manner. Part of the reason some players are fussy about bench height, is
to get comfortable with the sharp/natural anomily. This could lead into
a whole ergonomic discussion, on ideal height of sharps to bench height.
(tongue in cheek)
Regards Roger