what is ethical was Re: tech fees

Wimblees Wimblees@aol.com
Sun, 29 Mar 1998 22:54:02 EST

>As PTG professionals it could be worth while for us to form a table of
>fair time for a given task. e.g. Major reg with hammer reshape 8hrs.
>With string mating, leveling, and voicing, 12hrs. This would be useful
>to the people that are trying to gain experience, to have a time quality
>goal to strive for, and to know what would be a fair quote to the
>customer, the hourly rate would be then based on a factor of the local
>tuning rate.
> I hope this helps to clarify my position.
>Regards Roger

Roger:

There is such a table, as complied by Newton Hunt, which I think Randy Potter
has available, or the PTG office. This is a very good guide, and perhaps some
of the newer techs should get it and use it. For those techs who do not have
the experience to complete a job in the time the guide says, can adjust their
charge accordingly.

Regarding the ethical issue, this is what got me started investigating the
hourly rate in the first place. Our Bylaws state we should provide ethical
service, but there is no description of what is ethical. I found there are
differences of opinions on this subject.

Case in point:  You are asked to regulate an action, and estimate the total
job will take 10 hours.  At $60 per hour, you tell the customer the job will
be $600, and she accepts this. You take the action home, and instead of it
taking 10 hours, it only take 6. Do you charge $360 for the job, or $600?

I did a survey of RPT members several years ago, and I ask this question in
the class I teach on this subject. From the survey, 40% said they would charge
$360. In my classes, I get a little fewer agreeing with this. Those who say to
charge $600 reason the customer wanted results, and is willing to pay for it.
On the other hand, it is my contention that the customer should only be
charged for the time it took to do the job.  Other wise I would be charging
her for time I didn't work. This, I think is unethical.

The other side of the coin is, would I charge more the job took 14 hours.  The
answer is yes, but I would call her before I got more than half way on the
job, (you should know by then if there are going to be problems, assuming the
problems were with the action, and not with your ability to do the work), and
inform her it is going to cost more. I would not surprise her at the
completion of the work when handing in the bill.

I am not bringing this difference in opinion up to start the argument again as
to which is right or wrong, because at least 60% of you think $600 is fair. I
bring this up to show there is a difference in attitude about the ethics
involved.

Willem Blees